MASTER OF PHILOSOPHY IN SUSTAINABLE FOOD CROP PRODUCTION
The CSIR-College of Science and Technology has introduced a new Master of Philosophy Degree program “Sustainable Food Crop Production”. It is an interdisciplinary program designed in consultation with a wide range of stakeholders from the Ministries of Science and Technology, Food and Agriculture, universities, other research institutes at home and abroad, industry players such as processors and farmers, and other relevant agencies. The program was structured taking into consideration the needs of the agricultural industry. It is intended to build the capacity of a cadre of agricultural scientists and provide a respite in the shortage of staff with the critical know-how required in government and private sector agencies to play roles in scientific research, advice, evaluation, policy development and implementation to ensure food and nutrition security.
About the program
The world’s population is growing rapidly and so is the associated increase in the demand for food, feed, and fiber. In sub-Saharan Africa, the situation is exacerbated by the presence of a much higher population growth rate compared to the world average, coupled with extreme climatic conditions. This stresses the need to increase production and productivity in an eco-friendly manner to ensure food and nutrition security. Among others, the program will examine the principles of sustainable food crop production in line with global food security. Students will be equipped with knowledge and skills in sustainable methods in agronomy, plant genetics, water, and soil fertility management, plant pathology and modern agricultural systems, as well as the socioeconomic implications thereof that determine livelihoods.
The M.Phil degree program will be run by the CSIR-Savanna Agriculture Research Institute at Nyankpala, Near Tamale in the Northern Region of Ghana.
Application for admission is open from January to May each year for the academic year starting in August.
Why study with us?
- Students get the opportunity to work with multi-disciplinary scientists and technical teams across Ghana and beyond with a lot of experience in the field
- Access to advance laboratories in Soil chemistry, Soil microbiology, Inoculum Manufacture, Entomology, Plant Pathology, Seed Science and Molecular Biology.
- A vast research field, greenhouse facilities and a wide range of partners
- Opportunity to do research work within ongoing collaborative research projects.
- Quality supervision and completion time
- Applicant should have completed an undergraduate degree in Agriculture, life sciences or related fields with at least a Second Class division from a recognized university.
- Proof of English Language Proficiency: Applicants who have not been instructed in English at the undergraduate level must have a test score of at least 550 (paper test) or 213 (computer test) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).
- Tuition Fee for 2018 is GhC15, 000.00 per annum for Ghanaians.
- Students are welcome to apply for research grants with some of our research programs
Further Information and Enquiries
For details of the program, visit the website at www.sari.csir.org.gh
Dr. S.K. Nutsugah: email@example.com
Dr. J. A. Danquah: firstname.lastname@example.org