INSTITUTION: Savannah Agricultural Research Institute
QUALIFICATION: MSc. PLANT BREEDING
AREA OF SPECIALISATION: PLANT BREEDING (LEGUMES)
NATIONAL COLLABORATION: UDS, CSIR-CRI, MoFA
INTERNATIONAL COLLABORATION: IITA, AGRA, ICRISAT, GCDT
RESEARCH AREA Breeding for high yielding improved cowpea varieties with resistance to thrips, pod sucking bugs and striga gesnerioides in northern Ghana. Collaborators: M. Abudulai (Entomologist), N.N. Denwar (Breeder), Nimo Weridu (Socio-economist) , Yaw Owusu (Technologist), Issahaku Memunatu (Technician), MoFA staff and Faremers.
TECHNOLOGIES/INNOVATIONS DEVELOPED AND MAKING IMPACT ON LIVES AT VARIOUS SOCIETAL OR SOCIAL LEVEL
- Train AEAs on trial management and data collection
- Train farmers and seed producers on cowpea and soybean seed/grain production
- Contribution to the release of 8 improved cowpea and 4 soybean varieties.
IMPACT OF RESEARCH ON COMMUNITIES
- Cowpea yields have increased due to farmers adopting and cultivating the improved varieties.
- Farmers’ capacity on good agronomic practices in legume crop production has been enhanced through the frequent training.
- Increase nutrition and income of the small scale farmer
- Reduce poverty and malnutrition in smallholder farm household
PUBLICATIONS AND JOURNALS
- Haruna Mohammed, R. Akromah, M. Abudulai, S.A. Mashark & A. Issah. Genetic Analysis of Resistance to Pod Shattering in Soybean., Journal of Crop Improvement, 28:1, 17-26, Jan. 2014
- Inusah I. Y. Baba, Mumuni Abudulai, Mohammed Askia Musah, Wilson Dogbe and Mohammed Haruna. Effects of NERICA- Cowpea intercropping systems on yield components and productivity of NERICA and Cowpea. African Journal of Agricultural Research, November, 2013, Vol. 8 (48) pp. 6323-6331
- Mohammed Askia Musah, Inusah I. Y. Baba, Wilson Dogbe, Mumuni Abudulai, Abubakari Mutaru, Mohammed Haruna. NERICA intercropping systems and their influence on yield components and productivity of NERICA and partner crops in the Guinea Savannah Zone of Ghana. International journal of AgriScience, Vol. 3 (12): 881-893, December, 2013.
- M. Abudulai, A. B. Salifu, D. Opare-Atakora, M. Haruna, I. Y. B. Inusah, and I. K. Dzomeku. Field Efficacy of Neem (Azadirachta indica A. Juss) for Managing Damage by Soil Arthropod Pests and Diseases for Increased Peanut Yield in Ghana. Plant protection sci. 2013. Vol. 49, No 2: 65-72
- Mumuni Abudulai, Abdulai B. Salifu, Danial Opare-Atakora, Mohammed Haruna, Nicholas N. Denwar, Inusah I.Y. Baba. Yield loss at the different growth stages in soybean due to insect pests in Ghana. Archives of Phytopathology and Plant Protection Vol. 45, No. 15, September 2012, 1796–1809.
- Abudulai, M., A. B. Salifu and M. Haruna. Screening of Cowpea for resistance to the flower bud thrips, Megalurothrips sjostedti Trybom (Thysanoptera:Thripidae). Archives of Phytopathology and Plant Protection Vol. 45, No. 15, September 2012, 1796–1809.