Gloria Boakyewaa Adu
NATIONAL COLLABORATION: Ministry of Food and Agriculture (MoFA)-Ghana, CSIR - Crops Research Institutes (CRI), Grains and Legumes Development Board (GLDB)
Ghana agricultural input dealers association (GAIDA), Seed Producers Association of Ghana (SeedPAG)
INTERNATIONAL COLLABORATION: International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA)), International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center (CIMMYT)
(Key areas of research) Insert a brief write-up of research undertaken. Include collaborating institutions)
- Development of new populations of early maturing maize varieties with farmer preferred traits via hybridization of suitable parental germplasm adapted to the savannah ecologies of Ghana. Collaborators: CRI, IITA, and CIMMYT
- Introduction and selection of drought and Striga tolerant maize varieties and hybrids in regional trials. This activity has lead to the formal release of 14 maize varieties. Collaborators: CRI, IITA, CIMMY, and MoFA
- Production and promotion of breeder and foundation seeds of stress tolerant maize varieties in northern Ghana. Collaborators: MoFA, GLDB, GAIDA) and SeedPAG
- Promotion of drought and Striga tolerant maize varieties in Northern Ghana. Collaborators: MoFA, CRI, and SeedPAG
- Training of seed producers, agro-input dealers and agricultural extension agents on maize seed production techniques. Collaborators: MoFA, CRI, GLDB, GAIDA, and SeedPAG
TECHNOLOGIES/INNOVATIONS DEVELOPED AND MAKING IMPACT ON LIVES AT VARIOUS SOCIETAL OR SOCIAL LEVEL
- The release of drought and Striga tolerant hybrid maize varieties (2015)
Alidu H., M.S. Mashark, K. Obeng-Antwi, G. B. Adu, M.B. Ewool, M. Tengan (2012).
- Suhudoo (TZE-W Pop DT STR C4 X TZEI 7)
- Kunjor-Wari (TZE-Y Pop DT STR C4 X TZEI 17)
- Warikamana (DTSTR SYN/IWD-SYN-STR-C3-50-2-BB)
- Kpari-Faako (DTSTR SYN/IWD-SYN-STR-C3-51-1-B)
- Sika-Aburo (PAN 53)
- Released of drought and Striga tolerant open pollinated Maize varieties
- Alidu H., M.S. Mashark, K. Obeng-Antwi, M.B. Ewool, G. B. Adu, M. Tengan (2012).
- CSIR-Sanzal-sima (DT SYN-1-W)
- CSIR-Ewul-boyu (IWD C3 Syn F2)
- CSIR-Wang Dataa (TZE-W DT STR C4)
- CSIR-Bihilifa (TZE-Y DT STR C4)
- CSIR-Tigli (GH120 DYF/D Pop)
- M.B. Ewool, K. Obeng-Antwi, M.S. Mashark, G. B. Adu, M. Tengan (2010).
- CSIR- Enii- Pibi (GH9163SRS715)
- CSIR- Omankwa (TZE-W Pop STR QPM C0)
- CSIR- Aburohemaa (EVDT-W99STR QPM CO)
- CSIR-Abontem (TZEE-Y Pop STR QPM CO)
IMPACT OF RESEARCH ON COMMUNITIES
Maize production in Ghana is completely rainfed and drought poses a great threat to maize production. The released drought and Striga tolerant maize varieties, if widely adopted can help farmers cope with drought, and reduced the risk of total crop failure particularly in Striga endemic areas in the savanna zones of Ghana. Over 1 million farmers have been reached with the released varieties and have also benefited from community training programmes on good agronomic practices for maize production. With the increased access to improved stress tolerant varieties and production guide, most of these farmers have increased their yields by 30-40 percent and can now have enough to feed their families.
A total of fourteen varieties have been released over the past five years, these releases have increased considerably the number of stress tolerant varieties in our commercial seed sector. Breeder and foundation seeds produced were supplied to seed producers for certified seed production. A network of seed producers including community seed producers and emerging seed companies have adopted, produced and spread the new varieties to farmers